An Introduction to New NAES Environmental Services Resources
NAES Environmental Services (ES) consistently develops compliance tools and guidance documents to support our businesses in pursuit of “Rigorous Compliance with Regulations.”
To improve access to these programs, NAES ES launched a more dynamic, user friendly website.
NAES ES created two resources, NAES ES Compliance Check® and NAES ES Enviro Notes®, to help you meet regulatory requirements, make them less burdensome, and mitigate risk.
NAES ES Compliance Check® guidance documents entail the major regulatory compliance program. NAES ES program experts created these comprehensive lists using regulatory updates, enforcement tracking, common industry compliance improvement opportunities, best practices, and lessons learned.
As you may be familiar, a checklist is a standard list of required steps for repetitive tasks. Benefits of using checklists include:
- Staying more organized by knowing you will not skip any important step in the process.
- Motivating us to complete tasks thanks to small wins and the goal-gradient effect.
- Saving time, which lets us focus on more creative activities.
- Increasing specificity and confidence when delegating tasks.
Compliance Check® allows you to identify areas of non-conformance, non-compliance, items that need improvement, avoid missed obligations, etc. When using these checklists, you look at individual requirements, assess your status, and schedule actions. These comprehensive lists address required monitoring, recordkeeping, reporting, and permitting. The checklist also can be used to prepare for upcoming compliance audits from regulatory agencies.
Compliance Check® covers many topics including:
- Air CEMS,
- Air Permit
- Department of Transportation Hazardous Materials Shipping
- Emergency Planning and Community Right to Know
- Facility Response Plan
- Hazardous Waste
- Regulatory Reporting
- Spill Prevention Countermeasure and Control
- Universal Waste
- Used Oil,
- Hazardous Waste.
Page BreakES Enviro Notes® is not new but has a new look. NAES ES strives to keep these guidance documents current and easy to read, to continue assisting our businesses with compliance of common environmental issues.
Plant folks can use the simplified guidance materials found in Enviro Notes® for environmental awareness sessions, environmental training aids. In some cases, this would meet the NAES requirement for monthly environmental training when covering a required training topic such as Universal Waste or Used Oil Management
Take a moment to find these resources on our updated website under “NAES Guidance and Tools” icon. When you select this icon, it will take you to the files for all Compliance Checks and ES Notes. Checks and ES Notes.
ES Enviro Notes® exist for the many compliance topics including:
- Aerosol Can Management
- EDR Self Checklist
- Global Harmonization Standard Hazard Communication Chemical Labeling Requirements
- New York State (NYS) Label and Color Code Requirements of Petroleum Storage
- NYS Petroleum Bulk Storage
- Oily Rags
- Paint Waste
- Satellite Accumulation
- Spill Reporting
- Universal Waste
- Used Oil Management.